It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: This is uncomprehendable......7 yrs old
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:30 pm 
new user

THIS I HEARD ABOUT LAST NIGHT, IT WAS IN TODAY'S PAPER.....THIS 7 YR OLD BOY HANGED HIMSELF BECAUSE OF A BAD GRADE HE GOT IN SCHOOL. A FRIEND OF MY MOTHER'S IS ON THE CITY SCHOOL BOARD AND OF COURSE HIS NAME IS BEING WITHHELD, BUT WHAT THIS LADY TOLD MY MOM TONIGHT,.......THE CHILD WAS AN ALL ( A) STUDENT, HE DIDN'T GET A SMILEY FACE ON HIS PAPER!! WHICH SEEMS TO BE THE CAUSE FOR THIS TRAGEDY. IT ALSO AIRED ON THE NEWS LAST EVENING AND TONIGHT, SO I WAS BROWSING THE PAPER ONLINE AND THOUGHT TO POST THIS....

PRAYERS ARE WITH HIM AND HIS FAMILY --

HERE IS THE ARTICLE - HOW SAD....

[/quote]
Quote:
Prosecutor: Boy, 7, hanged himself
From staff reports
djlocalnews@the dailyjournal.com

VINELAND -- A 7-year-old boy who died at home Wednesday hanged himself, the prosecutor's office said.
The boy, who was reported to be a very good student, might have been upset about receiving a poor mark at school earlier in the day, sources said.
The Cunningham Elementary second-grader hanged himself in the bedroom of his East Chestnut Avenue home, Cumberland County Prosecutor Ronald J. Casella said.

Neither the boy nor his family has been formally identified by official sources.
Detective Lt. Tom Ulrich said several family members were in the home when the boy died.

According to reports, his body was discovered after he failed to answer his parent's call to dinner.

Neighbors said he was an outwardly fun-loving boy who played in the large yard of his family's two-story, wood-frame house along Chestnut Avenue, near the former Newcomb Hospital.

The family lived there for about two years without much interaction with neighbors. But all appeared well from a distance, said neighbors bordering the family's home.

The family left the house Wednesday night after the incident, according to neighbors who declined to give their names.

Attempts to contact the family at their home Thursday were unsuccessful.

Administrators at Cunningham were not available for comment Thursday evening, but letters were sent home with second-grade students that afternoon notifying parents of the student's death, said Linda Santagata, Vineland assistant superintendent of student personnel services.

The boy was not identified in the letter, but school officials wanted parents to understand their child "might come home sad," Santagata said.

The letter explained that a student at the school died, the children were notified, and parents were encouraged to speak with their children about death and how to cope. Attached to the letter was an article from the National Psychology Association concerning how to talk to children about death and grieving.

Nine counselors in the district joined Cunningham's two counselors, social worker and Santagata to speak with any students. The counselor's office, open to all of the school's 500 students, was filled with people all day.

The counseling will be available for as long as it's needed, Santagata said, adding young children might not fully grasp the depth of the situation.

"Children that age may not understand the concept of death. They just know they suddenly feel sad," she said.

Faculty meetings were held at the beginning and end of the school day to allow teachers and students to speak and grieve. Santagata said the staff was "very upset."

Vineland spokesperson John Sbrana said the district -- between administration, counselors and social workers -- has a strong crisis team for incidents like the death of a student.

"It's a terrible tragedy," he said. "We're reaching out to the family as much as we can. It's an unspeakable thing to happen to a family."

Principal Monica Dannenberger and assistant principal Debra Bechtel visited the home on Chestnut Avenue to comfort the family. Santagata said Bechtel and Dannenberger talked to them about not feeling "guilt about something they might not have seen" coming.

Santagata said the boy had a normal home life, was doing well in school and in the Gifted and Talented program, and was well-liked by friends. He never had to be disciplined for any reason, she added.

She wouldn't talk about whether a sudden change in his personal or school life might have been the cause.

Charges likely won't be filed, police said Thursday.

"It is tragic when a child dies, no matter what the circumstance," Lt. Ulrich said.

Staff writers Kristi Funderburk, Miles Jackson and Tim Zatzariny Jr. contributed to this report.[/quote]

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:09 pm 
new user

i lost my great grand father by suicide he shot himself in the head 2 weeks ago

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:09 pm 
new user

What a tragedy! I can hardly believe that such things happen in this world. At age 7, it seems like it wouldn't even be something that would cross a child's mind, let alone knowing how to go through with it.

... no words for this... only prayers.

Missing and loving my baby angel always, Ethan Edward Lombard - July 5, 2007 - October 20, 2007 <3

http://www.ethan-lombard.last-memories.com

Offline Profile