It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Article: Dealing with the Loss of a Child
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:02 pm 
user

Hello Everyone I'm posting another article I have found helpful and would like for everyone to read.You can comment or not,But I do hope everyone reads.
I Love You All,
{{{{{hugs}}}}},
Barbara

Article: COPING WITH THE LOSS OF A CHILD

The death of a child is always a dreadful thing. The effect of a child's death is often felt very widely and can have an impact on many people including the extended family, school friends and their families and teachers. Working through your grief can be a poignant process, but it is essential to ensure your future emotional and physical well-being. Parental grieving for the loss of a baby involves acute emotional suffering and has implications for the quality of the relationship shared by the bereaved parents. A relationship may be exposed to risk during the mourning process. The distinct forms of mourning between the couple creates barriers to good communication and increases feelings of vulnerability. There are not only gender differences in dealing with such situations, but also differences between women depending on the type of loss experienced. Men tend to worry, use social support and neglect the situation, women are more likely to seek spiritual support, use tension reduction, desirous thinking and seek support from others who have experienced the same loss.
The mourning process takes time and should not be hurried. How long it takes to cope up with the grief varies individually. In general, though, it takes most people one to two years to recover from a major bereavement. There are many ways in which, you can help yourself cope during this time.

Ask for assistance and support from family, friends or a support group, and try to express whatever you are feeling, be it anger, guilt or sorrow.
Acceptance of the fact that some things, like death, are beyond your control can help you get through the grief.
Giving yourself the time and space to grieve is an important factor within the coping process. Due to which you are able to mourn properly and avoid problems in the future.
Friends can be an important source of help and consolation at this time.
If you are facing problems during sleep, your doctor may be able to prescribe tablets that can aid or refer you to a counselor if you feel that you need more help in coping with the loss.
When a child passes away it's not something you ever get over, or forget. A parent deals with the trauma every single day of his life. Parents may feel that they can never recover amply from the loss of a child. For some parents the new identity is a stronger one, they feel they have been "through the fire" and that nothing can affect them so deeply again. Exact information, delivered with skill and sympathy and updated on a regular basis, diminishes the parents' sense of helplessness and isolation and sets up a therapeutic alliance.

http://www.michael-butler.last-memories.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Thamks for the 411
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:05 am 
user

I want to say that I feel much better now since I read your posting...I think you did a great job in posting this... Thanks for always being here when we need it the most... Much Love,
-Michelle-

http://mysweetlittlegnome.last-memories.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:46 am 
user

Hi Barbara, thank you for posting this. Losing a child is the worst pain we as parents will ever suffer. There's just nothing that compares!
Hugs, Cindy

http://bjoutlawii.memory-of.com

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]  Moderators: Barbara, MissingMyMelody&Mommy