It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Born @ 23 weeks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:15 pm 
new user

Ashton Michael Middleton May 12, 2009
2009 began as a wonderful year in January, when Molly found out that she was pregnant. Southwest airlines was also running a fantastic flight special, so we booked a two week trip to Seattle and Vancouver for May, when Robert was finishing his current project.

On February 5th, we had a doctor's appointment, where we heard the baby’s heartbeat and found out that his due date was September 8th 2009. On February 20th, we went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans and had a great time visiting friends, watching parades, and going to the Bacchus and Orpheus Balls. Robert found an Alaskan cruise on sale at the end of February, so we scheduled the cruise during the time of our trip to Seattle and Vancouver.

On May 5th, we flew to Seattle, and then drove to Vancouver. On May 6th, we left on our 7 day Alaskan cruise. The first port we arrived at was Juneau on May 8th; where we went on a 6 person Whale Watching tour. After the Whale Watching tour, we had fresh King Crab legs at a shack on the dock. On May 9th, the ship cruised up Glacier Bay National Park, and we were able to get some amazing views of the glaciers. We arrived at our second port of Skagway on May 10th; where we rented a car and drove up the Klondike highway into Canada to look at the mountains, glaciers, and wildlife.

On May 11th, we arrived at our third port of Ketchikan, AK, where we visited the shops and bought some souvenirs to bring back home. Later that afternoon, while we were in a shop across the street from the cruise ship, Molly had to go to the restroom, and felt a gush of water down her leg.

We immediately went to see the cruise ships doctor, and they quickly determined that her water had broken. They called an ambulance and within 15 minutes, we were at the Ketchikan Hospital.

Because Molly was only 23 weeks pregnant, they gave her medicine to prevent any contractions. Since the Ketchikan hospital was not equipped to handle deliveries this early, they called the Air Ambulance Service and we were airlifted to Seattle, where we were taken to the Level 3 Neonatal center at Swedish Medical Center, which is the best facility in the region.

Later that evening after we arrived at the Swedish Medical Center, they did an ultrasound and it showed no reason for Molly’s water to break. Fortunately, Molly had stopped leaking fluid, and there was enough fluid to continue the pregnancy. The doctors told us that they had some patients that had even been able to get to full term before delivery.

The next day at Noon, they did an amniocentesis test to determine if there was any infection. If there was an infection, they would have to induce labor. Everyone was praying that there would not be an infection, and that we could stay at the hospital in Seattle until Molly delivered at full term in September. Molly’s mother Patsy, and sister Maura, were able to schedule a flight to come up on the next morning.

While we were waiting on the results of the test, Molly started having contractions. Within 15 minutes of the first contraction, they had to rush her to the delivery room where Molly delivered our son Michael Ashton on the evening of May 12th, 2009.

Because he was only 23 weeks old, and the birth had happened so quickly, there was nothing that the doctors could do to help him. Our little angel, Ashton Michael was with us for about 2 hours before he passed.

Marv Heston, a professional photographer with the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep Foundation came and took some wonderful photographs of Ashton Michael before he passed.

The doctors, thankfully let Ashton stay with us until we left the hospital the next evening. Fortunately, we had also purchased travel insurance for the trip, and they arranged for our flight back to Houston, as soon as we left the hospital.

Michael Aston Middleton, is our first Son, and he will always be Missed and Loved.

Molly and Robert would like to thank everyone for all of their Love and Support; especially the Nurses, Doctors, and our Friends and Families. We could not imagine going through this without everyone’s Love and Support.

We wanted to to give Ashton A Brother or Sister so In Dec 2009 we found out we were Pregnant we were so Happy Than on January 19th 2010 @ 11 weeks I had a Miscarriage .

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Born @ 23 weeks
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:00 pm 
new user

I went through the same thing. I found out I was pregnant in March-my due date was November 26th. My water started leaking in July but my doctors did not believe this--but I knew I was right. They finally believed me due to another ultrasound and admitted me in the Hospital on September 3, 2009. On Labor Day, I started bleeding badly but they refused to deliver my son. They told me they wanted to wait until I was either 36 weeks or if we got an infection. I woke up in severe pain on the 13th of September-they determined it was time due to this (infection). Our little boy fought for his life allday in an incubator and we lost him close to midnight on September 14. He died of Sepsis (blood infection). All of our hopes and dreams shattered. I cried so much that my eyes were swolen for days. You are in my prayers my friend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:24 am 
new user

My son was born on May 11th 2009. It brought tears to my eyes when I saw that your precious son was born the day after mine. He was born at 24 weeks and I remember how scared I was. My prayers are with you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:36 am 
new user

my son was born the 20th of may 2010 he was born sleeping(stillborn) i was 27 weeks into the pregnancy.my prayers are with you and all others who have to go through this.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: Barbara, MissingMyMelody&Mommy