It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: I FOUND THIS ARTICLE ON 1 OF CHRIS,S FRIEND,S MY SPACE.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:01 pm 
user

I HAVE NEVER READ IT TILL NOW.IT BREAKS MY HEART TO THINK ,HOW CAN A DRUNK DRIVER SAY I AM SORRY AND YET THINK IT MAKES THE PAIN LESS,I DONT HATE HER,BUT I DO HATE WHAT SHE DID TO CHRIS,AND TO US.Grimditch gets 45 years
Drunk driver apologizes for taking man's life

Louis Cooper
lcooper@pnj.com

--> -->--> ARTICLE BODY TEXT --> --> --> --> ARTICLE PARAGRAPH ITEMS --> Beverly Grimditch on Monday apologized to the family of the 22-year-old man she killed while driving drunk.

Circuit Judge Ron Swanson then sentenced her to a total of 45 years in state prison -- 30 years for fleeing police and 15 for DUI manslaughter, to be served at the same time. That time will be served after a previous 15-year sentence is completed.

"I know just to say how sorry I am doesn't mean a lot. I still want you to know how very sorry I am," she said after pleading no contest to five charges including DUI manslaughter and fleeing police in Santa Rosa Circuit Court.

"I've taken a very young man's life, and I've caused a great deal of pain to his family and friends, and my family and friends. ... Forgive me, I hope. That will take time, if ever."

Her voice shaking, Grimditch, 51, of Navarre was making her first public comments since the bizarre accident that claimed the life of William Christopher Villar, known as Chris, on June 15.

Grimditch was speeding away from police on Alabama Street in Milton when her silver Infiniti struck a curb, went airborne and crashed through the roof of the Villar home. Chris Villar, who was lying in bed watching a basketball game on television, was crushed to death.

Swanson called Villar's death "the greatest of all tragedies."

"The life of a young man has been taken. The joys he brought to others and the positive things he was to do for his family and community have been destroyed," he said.

"The acts that caused this loss were the results of choices made by the defendant, bad choices, destructive choices, tragic choices," Swanson said. "Choices made by the defendant had already resulted in the defendant being placed in probation. That aggravates the circumstance and cannot be ignored by the court. ... A significant sentence of incarceration is warranted."

He then sentenced Grimditch to a maximum 30 years for fleeing police and a maximum 15 years for DUI manslaughter.

But Grimditch's time in prison will be even longer because she had driven drunk and fled from police before. In 2005, she received a probationary sentence for DUI and fleeing police in Walton County. She participated in a 28-day substance abuse treatment program at the Friary in Gulf Breeze after that incident.

Circuit Judge Kevin Wells revoked her probation and imposed a 15-year state prison term after she killed Villar.

Grimditch said in court that her actions in the latest incident were not deliberate.

She said a friend gave her the prescription painkillers Fioricet and Darvon for a headache the night of the accident and she did not remember driving.

"The last memory I had was going to bed, not driving," she said. "I woke up in the emergency room and I was told what had happened. I woke up into everyone's nightmare."

Her blood alcohol level was determined to be 0.166 at the time of the accident -- twice the legal limit. The prescription drugs also were detected in her blood.

Grimditch's account in court conflicted with her initial account to investigators.

Grimditch, who is married, told them that she had been arguing with her boyfriend and left his house to commit suicide on the highway.

Her husband was in court Monday but did not speak, and no mention was made of a boyfriend.

Four of Villar's family members and one friend testified.

"You have taken a best friend and a brother from my life," said Matt Villar, Chris Villar's 16-year-old brother, addressing Grimditch directly. "Now, all that kindness and joy has been taken out of our lives because of your desire to drink that night."

Carla Villar, Chris' mother, testified to the strong bond Chris had with his family.

"He would always call home from work during the day to say 'Hi,' " the mother said. "Never would he end a conversation without saying, 'I love you, Mom.' "

Grimditch's attorney, Tim Weaver, presented evidence to explain her behavior.

Psychologist James Larson testified that Grimditch was abused as a child, leading to a lifetime of mental problems, several hospitalizations for psychiatric care and numerous suicide attempts. He said she currently suffers from manic depression, post traumatic stress disorder and attention deficient hyperactivity disorder.

Grimditch's daughter, Mandy Soloman, urged Swanson to impose a light enough sentence that her mother might be free one day.

"I just want to see something good come out of this," Soloman said. "Putting her in prison for the rest of her life won't help anyone."

Should Grimditch be freed, the daughter promised to allow her mother to live with her and to monitor her behavior, as she already was doing at the time of the Milton crash.

"I called her probation officer," Soloman said. "I was concerned about my mother's drinking and I wanted to let him know she was drinking to excess. ... I wanted to find out if there was a way he could order her into treatment

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:21 pm 
user

Carla, thank you for sharing this with us. I don't even know what to say. This part though...
He then sentenced Grimditch to a maximum 30 years for fleeing police and a maximum 15 years for DUI manslaughter.
MAKES ME MAD! She got more time for fleeing from the police than she got for killing an innocent young man. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to feed any anger you might have or to cause you to become angry if you aren't, but EVERYTHING about that is just wrong! I'm so sorry...
Sending you hugs, Cindy

http://bjoutlawii.memory-of.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:33 pm 
user

Dear Dear Dear Carla,
Each time I read the story of what had happened I sit in silence afterwards. My whole family knows what has happened to your precious Chris, and it is beyond words. If there was ever a place we could call safe, it would be in our homes in bed...my heart cries at what you must of gone through that night. Cindy addressed the first thing that came to my mind. Why in the world would someone get double the time for outrunning a poilice offer than that of killing someone is beyond me! And that makes me SOOOO ANGRY!!!!! And then to have the attorney show evidence for her behavior...I am sorry, but there is no excuse for what she did, PERIOD! And then for the woman to say "I woke up into everyone's nightmare." This lady has NO IDEA what living in a nightmare really is...as her daughter is willing to take care of her. I would give ANYTHING for my son to have the opportunity to take care of me one day.
Carla, I am so sorry this has happend to your beautiful family. I will never understand why, NEVER!!!!
((((HUGS))))) My dear friend.
Hugs,
Lynda

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:57 pm 
user

Carla.....
Thank you so much for sharing this story. I must admit, after reading it, I sat and just shook my head. Like Lynda and Cindy said, how could a person get more time for avoiding the police than for taking an innocent life? Unreal. And then for her to say that she woke up into everyones nightmare.....she hasn't a clue. How selfish can she be? This selfishness of people is something that I will never understand. Maybe this is her way of coping with what she has done. I don't know. I honestly don't know how one would begin to cope with something like this. But I pray that she thinks long and hard for the pain and sorrow that she has caused your beautiful family.

I am so very sorry that this tragic incident happened to you and your family Carla. I am sending you many hugs.....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:11 pm 
user

Carla,

How your heart must ache........... saying she's sorry doesn't bring Chris back. I'm sure she is sorry. Spending that many years in prison would make anyone sorry.......but some things we do, can't be undone.

Her poor impulse control cost a young man his life, an innocent, beautiful young man with his entire life just spreading out in front of him.

Her poor decision making skills brought agony and grief to an entire family and changed Matt's future also. Look at the pain, including her own......... and her family's that she brought upon so very many people.

It's scary .......... we think we're safe in our own beds at night.....but on the old forum was a mother who's daughter had died in a house fire..... we just don't know what reactions one poor decision will cause.

It's so scary because it confirms that awful fear, that even if we don't leave our house, someone we don't know can come into our lives and do something to bring total devastation upon us.

Chris is such a beautiful young man, so much promise, so much love. It's more than my mind can accept that such a freak accident could claim him. I just can't understand things like this. I can only cry when I read his site........... someday I hope God will help us to understand everything.

“We are each of us angels with only one wing. And we can only fly embracing each other."
~Luciano De Crescenzo

www.scottmatthew-hill.last-memories.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:19 pm 
user

I READ THE ARTICLE AND REALIZE I WENT TO EVERY HEARING SHE HAD AND WENT TO THIS HEARING AND EVEN MET WITH HER LAWYER ,ITS AS IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE GOING THROUGH IT.I ACHE FOR CHRIS TO COME BACK TO HS FAMILY,I LIVE THIS BUT STILL CANT BELIEVE IT.MY FAMILY HAS SO MANY LEVELS OF GRIEVE WE GO THROUGH.I JUST HAVE TO TRUST IN JESUS.AND KNOW HE WILL GUIDE ME THROUGH THIS.I HAD PEOPLE BREAK IN MY HOME AND TAKE THINGS DOING THE RECOSTRUCTION OF OUR HOUSE WE HAD TO LIVE WITH MY SISTER,WHICH WAS HARD.AND I THINK MY FAMILYS GRIEVE WAS SET BACK BECAUSE WE WERE NOT HOME TO GRIEVE.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:32 pm 
user

Dear Carla,
I hadn't even thought about the fact that you couldn't be home with yours and Chris's things to grieve...and if I understand you correctly, people broke into your home and stole things while it was under reconstruction? How low can a person be?!?! This is all just so sad. I hope this woman got a good look at your precious family and saw the pain in your eyes and I hope she remembers what she saw every day and night of her life. This may not be nice of me to hope for, but she did much much much MUCH worst to your family. Again, I am so so so sorry.
Hugs,
Lynda

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:08 pm 
user

LYNDA,YES THEY STOLE FROM US,THEY TOOK PERSONAL THINGS,1 OF THE THINGS THEY TOOK WERE PAGES TO MY JOURNAL,I HAVE A PRAYER JOURNAL,THEY TORE OT PAGES FROM THAT ,DUG IN MY CLOSET AND TOOK THINGS I HAD SAVED FOR THE BOYS,SENTMENTAL THINGS .REPORTERS CAME AND TOOK PICTURES OF CHRIS,S ROOM RIGHT AFTER THIS HAPPENEDAND PUT IT ON THEIR WEB SITE,THIS UPSET ME SO VERY MUCH.,I GUESS THE POLICE LET ANYONE IN?I COLLECT DOLLS AND THEY BROKE THE LITTLE ROCKING HORSES THEY SAT ON.THEY STOLE CHRIS,S PUPPY AND LET THE MOMMA AND POPPA DOG RUN LOSE,IT HAS BEEN SO HARD .NO ONE REALLY KNOWS HOW HARD IT WAS.I WAS TOLD OVER 200 PEOPLE CAME IN OUR HOME,ALSO OUR NEIGHBORS KEPT CALLING THE POLICE TO GET THEM OUT,AT NITE THEY WERE LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE TAKING PICTURES OF CHRIS,S CAR.WE HAD A NEIGHBOR MAKE HUGE KEEP OUT RESPECT THIS FAMILY SIGN,S.THE POLICE DIDNT HELP US .WE TRIED TO GET A TRAVEL TRAILOR SO WE COULD STAY ON OUR PRPERTY BUT COULDNT FIND 1,IT WAS SUMMER AND THEY WERE ALL RENTED OUT.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:31 pm 
user

Oh Carla,

What were those people thinking? How could they be so cruel? I admire your neighbor for taking a stand.......and the police really don't sound as if they were much help at all.

How could that many people parade through your home..........what has happened to respect?

I'm so sorry. Those people made it even harder for your family. Being out of your home must have been so difficult. I know all I wanted was to be home, alone, and thinking all the time, just crying and thinking. It would be so difficult to do that in someone else's home, even people who were grieving with you.

Carla, I'm so sorry. there are parts of every situation that we just don't think about.

Lucy also had this situation, she had to travel to Kansas and stay first in the home of the daughter she lost and then in her other daughter's home. How difficult. My heart goes out to you........ I'm so sorry.

Love,
Jane

“We are each of us angels with only one wing. And we can only fly embracing each other."
~Luciano De Crescenzo

www.scottmatthew-hill.last-memories.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:37 pm 
user

I haven't responded, because honestly I am at a loss for words. It breaks my heart to read the story of everything you all have endured as a family. My heart is so saddened, please know I am thinking of you.

http://naudya-jo.memory-of.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:02 pm 
user

Dear Carla,
I am at a loss for words...totally speechless over what all you had to go through. I really can not imagine. Obviously these people never went through the horror you had to go through. Know that we care and we are here for you anytime you need to talk about whatever is on your heart...even if you have to repeat your story over and over, we all know how important this can be to do. (((HUGS))) and keeping you in my prayers.
Hugs,
Lynda

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:07 pm 
user

THANK YOU LYNDA,I THINK THATS WHY WHEN I HEAR FREAK ACCIDENT,IT MAKES ME ILL,BECAUSE THEY TREATED US LIKE A CIRCUS,AND I WOULD NEVER EVER DO THAT TO A FAMILY.WE LOST OUR SON AND THATS ALL I SEEN,THEY WANTED TO SEE THE SCENE ,I WANTED THEM TO STOP IT .WE HAD FRIENDS CAMP OUT AFTER 2 MONTHS BECAUSE THEY WERE STILL INVADING OUR PRIVACY BY COMING IN OUR YARD

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:16 pm 
user

My heart breaks for the loss of your Chris. I am hurting so much because my Krystal was killed by a drunk driver also. My victim Impact Statement is on her memory-of. com site. I know the pain of having our child killed by someone who showed absolutely no remore. None.
I am so sorry. I have to stop because my chest feels like it will explode with pain.
Love,

http://krystal-long-duss.memory-of.com

http://krystal-long-duss.last-memories.com

Krystal, My Precious Child

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:54 pm 
user

Carla,
I don't know what to say Chris' story just breaks my heart and I agree with Jane there is something wrong with this world when a person gets more time for fleeing police than killing a human being.You are forever in my prayers...
Love and Hugs,
Barbara

http://www.michael-butler.last-memories.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:46 am 
user

Dear Carla,

Im so very sorry for the loss of your precious son Chris, by the manner it happened and by the extra levels of grief, intrusion pain you have and still endure.

Please know Im sending many hugs and prayers.

Love and blessings, Maria. xxxxxxxxx

Pieta ~ "Mercy, Compassion, Love.
Love is for giving, forgiving."

"We are all special, have worth and talents and are
deserving of love and capable of loving."
Peter Zollo.

http://www.freewebs.com/pregnancyloss-hope/index.htm

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderators: Barbara, MissingMyMelody&Mommy Go to page 1, 2  Next