It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Mom has cancer (long story)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:48 am 
new user

You have cancer!!! These three words are the worst words you may ever hear. Not only for the person directly affected but also for everyone who loves this person.

Last year in August 2008 our Mom (I have one sister) was diagnosed with what was thought to be stage II uterine cancer. She was assured by doctors it was caught early and was in the best place cancer can be. After surgery and further testing we found out it had progressed farther than we originally thought. Now she faced months of chemotherapy and radiation, which she was told was only for precaution. Three months later, she went to get a check up, expecting she had a clean bill of health, but instead leaving the doctors office now knowing her cancer had metastasized to her lungs, colon and bowels. Not much hope was given to us that day. We were told they could only do chemo and only hope that it would slow down the spread. This was the most devastating news we have ever dealt with in our lives. My husband did hours upon hours of research hoping he would find something with a potentially better outcome. Approximately three weeks later she has transferred doctors and is now going to Princess Margaret where they tried a trail drug that helped two of her cancers (she has it in three places) but didnt help one at all. They stopped the trial. Mom ended up in the hospital from bladder pain and didnt get released until the next day.

One week before Christmas we rushed her to the hospital due to low oxygen levels and hallusination. They kept her there until Christmas Eve and sent her home still hallusinating. We had to take her back to the hospital on boxing day where she stayed until 1 week ago. She is still hallusinatig a bit but no brain tumor so we are unsure why. Also, she is vomiting and not eating or barley drinking and going down hill fast! I watch her fade away and lose weight and lose strength. She isnt on anything for cancer right now as she is way to weak. I cry every night all night and I pray she will pull through this! She has ascedies (sweating) in her bowels from the canceer that didnt take to the trial drug. She is suppose to fo chemo again but is too weak right now. They said IV would go to all the wrong places??!! She has to go to the hospital each week to be drained of this "sweat". She is sooo sick and throwing up even without food in her system. My poor husband listens to me cry every day!! My mom is only 54 years old - way to young to die!!! I just got married and I havent given my mom a grand baby yet - what she soooo badly wants from me! The doctor told me that if i tried now I would probably miscarry. I am 28 years old!

I know there are so many people who have gone through the same thing and without more research will continue to. We need to PUT AN END TO CANCER. Thank you for reading my story and please if you know how I can cope - any suggestions are welcome!

Offline Profile