It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Coping with a granparent's illness
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:56 pm 
new user

I am 24 years old and love my grandparents to death. We have had many great times over the years, some times I will never forget. I always felt safe and loved when I was around them. They have recently developed severe dementia and are slowly becoming weaker and weaker. They moved to an assisted living facility and are being taken care of. However, whenever we go to the home it becomes harder and harder. My grandmother is having a very hard time breathing and watching this happen is heartbreaking. I try to put on a brave face, but on the inside it eats away at me. Watching people you love slowly become weak is not what I had expected. I knew we would get to this place someday, I just did not know it would be this hard when we did. I do not live in the area, so I constantly worry about what will happen. Whenever I visit my grandmother she say's things like "the next time you are home I won't see you" or I wish you didn't have to leave so that you wouldn't have the get "the call." I guess by writing this, it is helping me to cope with the realization that she will not be around that much longer. This is something so difficult for me. I am looking for people who have gone through the same situations, because I know that things will not get any easier that is for sure. Does anyone have any insights to offer or suggestions. I appreciate all the words of wisdom.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Coping with a granparent's illness
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:54 am 
new user

Its so nice to see this good information in your post

Offline Profile