It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Cancer
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:32 am 
new user

I lost my mother to cancer on January 11, 2010. I didn't see how the term the gift of cancer was a proper place to post anything in relation to cancer.
My mother had multiple Myeloma. She was in remission for 5 years prior to her passing, however her passing was still rather shocking. She had come in and out of remission several times in 2009. Each time we would mourn then cheer. The last time she was told she was in full remission, one week later she was admitted to the hospital for tumors on her spine. She began her treatment immediately, determined to once again beat this terrible disease, with the knowledge that I was one month pregnant. One month later, October 6th, she would be stricken by another tumor, this one paralyzed her. She needed to stop one treatment that was keeping the myeloma at bay to try and treat the other, the tumors, This would allow the cancer to spread rapidly through out her system. She was in the hospital until november, She had begun to make progress and we all held onto hope, she would beat this cancer. She never did walk again. Standing for 10 seconds was a huge milestone, and that eventually left as the cancer attacked her body. We would watch her slowly decline in bed, in pain unable to move but able to feel every bit of pain, trying to hide how much pain she was in from us. We would go to appointment after appointment waiting for that miracle cure, and there was none to be had. Two weeks before christmas, the doctor felt that she was worse and that she had maybe 4-8 weeks to live, she leaned in kissed my stomach, knowing she would never know this child, accepting this fate. The followin week the 23rd of decemeber she was given the optiions accept hospice care or continue to fight, but that fight would be painful and not sucessful and she would extend her life by weeks if she were lucky. Undecisive, we urged her to be selfish take the hospice care to spare her pain. She did. The pain, i cant imagine how terrible it must have been, So much medicine she was on and that simply dulled the pain a little, Paralyzed and able to feel all that pain, us being the cause of that pain to move her. As her last days approached, that is not a sight that anyone should have to witness nor is it a fate that anyone should have to live. Thankfully for her she passed 3 weeks and 4 days after her doctor handed her his opinion of 4-8 weeks. Another day would have been one more day we would have had, but would have been one too many days more of suffering. Cancer is a terribly crule and unjust disease. It does not descriminte and it is not kind. It is sad for everyone it touces, but it is torcherous for the person for whom it strikes. It certainly bears no gift for anyone it has brushed againts, passed by or taken from this world.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Cancer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:26 am 
new user

This may be a very old post but I just also want to share my side of story. Last December 2011, I lost my Aunt who has a liver cancer. Then, by February 2012, I lost my uncle who has a colon cancer. It was the tragic and most depressing time of our life. My family was a bit shock of losing two of our loved ones, though they have both been suffering the pain of their illness and they also both had a prepaid funeral plans because they knew that their time will come, but still, it is very hard to let go, specially if they are very close to you.

Offline Profile